A blocker is an object in Candy Crush Saga that can take on one or more of the following functions:
- Prevent a player from accessing or using candies (i.e. licorice locks, marmalade, and sugar chests)
- Prevent candies from taking up a space unless cleared (i.e. icing and cake bombs)
- Prevent a special candy (in particular, Striped Candies) from performing their normal function (i.e. popcorn and licorice swirls)
- Cover up candies (i.e. chocolate)
- Spawn other blockers (i.e. chocolate spawners and magic mixers)
- Prevent a level from being completed (i.e. candy bombs)
Typically, blockers take up a square (with the exception of cake bombs, which occupy four squares). Blockers threaten the combination of candies and can be very annoying. There are many different types of blockers introduced throughout the game. Every blocker has unique properties, such as chocolate being able to multiply if not broken in one move, and liquorice swirls being resistant to special candies. Some blockers are easier to remove than others. Blockers cannot be swapped with other candies, with the exception of liquorice swirl and candy bomb blockers.
Blockers are the main obstacles of the board, so it is advisable to clear them as quickly as possible. Nearly every level has at least one type of blocker. Levels can have up to five types of blockers, however. The first level to have two different types of blockers is level 25, and the first to have three different types of blockers is level 52.
Despite some blockers being a nuisance, some blockers are useful. For example, liquorice swirls, marmalade, and icing can prevent chocolate from spreading, and chocolate can engulf a candy bomb. Marmalade sometimes guards special candies to use to your advantage.
List of blockersEdit
|Blocker Name||First appearance (Reality)||First appearance (Dreamworld)||Unique properties||Threat|
|Regular icing||Level 21|| - Level 1|
- Level 3
|It is the first blocker to be introduced.||Low|
|Liquorice lock||Level 25||Level 15||Prevents candies from being moved or destroyed. May also hold candy bombs and other special forms of candies.||Medium|
|Chocolate||Level 51||Level 32||Multiplies and replaces an adjacent candy if not broken in a move.||Somewhat high|
|Marmalade||Level 70||Level 186||A weaker version of the liquorice lock. Usually protects special candies, but in later levels, the cover up normal candies and even candy bombs.||None or Very low|
|Liquorice swirl||Level 81||Level 81||Cannot be matched, and resistant to special candy powers.||Medium|
|Candy bomb (between and )||Level 96||Level 47||Limits the number of available moves, unless cleared.
Grant large point boosts when cleared, especially with a color bomb.
Very high when combined with Licorice Lock
|Multilayered icing||Level 111||Level 111||Maximum of five layers. The one-layered version is the easiest blocker to be cleared.||Very low to Somewhat high|
|Chocolate spawner||Level 156||Level 156||Permanent throughout the level.
Produces chocolate every two moves when there's no chocolates on the board
|Cake bomb||Level 366||Level 366||Occupies 4 tiles. Each tile takes two adjacent matches to remove the slices. Clears the entire board when all slices are cleared.||Variable|
|Sugar chest||Level 711||(Does not exist)||Chests are single-tile stationary blockers that cannot be moved. Chests are containers which contain certain locked-up items.||Low to Somewhat high|
|Popcorn||Level 414 (due to removal of toffee tornado)
|Level 414||Completely resilient to normal matches. Absorbs special candy powers.
It can only be hit by special candies, and must take three hits to destroy. On the third hit, it turns into a colour bomb.
|Magic mixer||Level 1326||(Does not exist)||It can produce predetermined blockers on the board per three or two moves (if this blocker does not get hit by adjacent match or special candy effect).||Very high to Extremely high depending on spawn type, amount, and frequency.|
|(Does not exist)||(Does not exist)||Randomly moves around every two turns, destroying candies (and sometimes blockers), and blocking the tiles. Can make an entire level luck-based and unpredictable, and often greatly increases its difficulty.
This blocker has been nerfed several times before finally being eliminated completely save occasional events.
- Ironically, two-layered icing is presented in the initial layout before the sachet. However, a sachet can be seen if a layer is removed from a two-layered icing.
- The most infamous blockers of Candy Crush Saga are: chocolate, chocolate spawners, candy bombs, five-layered icing, five-layered sugar chests, popcorn and magic mixer (formerly known as evil spawner) because of their properties and the difficulty of destroying them.
- Colour bomb + colour bomb combination can strip a layer from or remove all of the blockers except chocolate spawners and sugar chests.
- Three of the blockers won't be introduced in Dreamworld because it has ended in the 45th Dreamworld episode, Dozy Dawn. These are sugar chest, popcorn, and magic mixer. However, popcorn and locked chocolate gets an unofficial introduction due to the removal of the toffee tornado.
- Blockers can sometimes be helpful. Most specifically, when a coconut wheel is set off, and there is a blocker in front of a colour bomb, or another coconut wheel, the blocker will prevent the active wheel from setting off those special candies blocked. However, the special candies under coconut wheel activates on mobile version.
|Candy Crush Saga blockers|