Moves are one of the main features of Candy Crush Saga. A move consists of matching at least three same coloured candy in a row. A successful match will bring down the total number of remaining moves by one. Moves can also be made by combining a colour bomb with a candy or another special candy, or a coconut wheel with a regular or special candy. (And formerly using free switch or moving the candy frog to another tile.)
The moves can range from a mere 1 move (Happy New Year 2015) or 5 moves (Dreamworld level 463, 976, and 1055) to a generous 90 moves (Level 15 beta). When you run out of moves and haven't reached the objective(s), you will fail the level.
The in-game description of moves is: "Every successful switch costs a move. Game ends when all are used." (It is shown when the mouse pointer hovers above the moves section).
There are currently two ways of gaining additional moves in levels:
- A friend can send +3 extra moves if you have been stuck on a level for at least 2 days. This is activated before the level starts.
- An extra moves booster can be activated during a game at any time. If you run out of moves before completing a level, the game offers you a chance to buy an extra 5 moves, and up to 50 moves after the eighth and further failures.
- The third way, which hasn't officially been released, it to collect extra moves candies, a new type of candy which is the counterpart of extra time candies. Currently, each moves candy would give three extra moves. They only spawn in level 2966 due to a redesign and may officially be introduced at a later stage.
- There are only 33 levels in Reality to have a prime number of moves: level 17 (19), level 33 (17), level 65 (37), level 119 (11), level 638 (29), level 661 (17), level 964 (37), level 975 (43), level 976 (5), level 1055 (5), level 1222 (37), level 1294 (17), level 1296 (31), level 1388 (17), level 1393 (13), level 1398 (17), level 1432 (11) level 1438 (47), level 1439 (13), level 1581 (23), level 1604 (31), level 1617 (37), level 1639 (31), level 1724 (13), level 1736 (31), level 1786 (23), level 1788 (23), level 1854 (19), level 1917 (23), level 1897 (13), level 1972 (17), level 1982 (13) and level 2039 (7).
- There are no levels in Reality with 41, 53, 59, or further prime numbered moves.
- Level 696 currently has the most moves out of any level excluding past versions, with 75 moves. If past and beta versions are included, they include level 700 and Dreamworld level 440, also at 75, and level 15, at an unbelievable 90.
- Later levels have much fewer moves than original. Most levels have no higher than 35 moves.