- This page is about the keys that unlock Sugar Chests. For more on the sugar chests themselves, see the Sugar Chest page.
A sugar key is an element that was introduced in the 49th episode, Boneyard Bonanza. It always occur in conjunction with a Sugar Chest. They start to appear since level 711 and will always appear along with sugar chests.
Sugar keys are key-shaped candies, which can be swapped, matched, and destroyed like regular candies. However, they cannot be combined with any special candies. Sugar keys come in different colours, like a normal candy. Sugar keys can also come out of dispensers, as in level 714.
The keys come unlock chests that have one to five layers of locks: one lockhole, one crumbled biscuit, and then three layers of icing. Every time a sugar key is destroyed, a layer of lock on all of the chests is removed. When the last layer of a chest is removed, the chest is broken and the content in it is free. The chests can contain a candy or a blocker (which is sometimes above a jelly square) or an ingredient.
If a combination converts sugar keys of target colour into special candies, all chests will lose one layer. If chocolate eats a key, a layer from all sugar chests will also disappear.
After opening all chests, the remaining keys will act as follows:
- On web version, they become normal candies after end of cascades.
- On mobile version, they become normal candies immediately. Before v1.70 they stayed and acted as normal candies.
During Sugar Crush:
- On mobile version, any remaining key will disappear before counting remaining moves. If there are chests not opened, this will cause them to lose layers and may release the contents.
- On web version, the remaining keys stay put.
- Sugar Keys appeared in every single episode since their debut, until Siberian Sorbet.
- There are sometimes more keys on the board than the maximum number of layers for a Sugar Chest.
- Candy cannons spawning sugar keys can also spawn other elements from the same cannon, including mystery candies (as seen in level 2502).
- There has never been a level with sugar chests but no sugar keys.
- Level 3555 is the first level where sugar keys are a colour that doesn't spawn.
|Candy Crush Saga special candies|